Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Bob Dawbarn (review of Joe Harriott's LP 'Free Form'): "Both horns scream and roar away, Keane at times doing a pretty fair imitation of an elephant angry with its keeper." - (Melody Maker, December 16, 1961).

Steve Race: "The non-musician critic knows how music ought to sound. But he cannot possibly know how it feels to create it. He is in the position of the marriage guidance counsellor who has never been married." – (Jazz News, June 6th 1962).

Archives.

Today Friday July 28

Afternoon
Rendezvous Jazz - The Black Horse, Front St., Monkseaton, Whitley Bay NE25 8DP. 1pm. Free.
-----
Jo Harrop Quartet - Gala Theatre, Millennium Place, Durham DH1 1WA. 1pm. £5. SOLD OUT!
-----
Ian Simpson & Stu Dawson - Vicolo, Pilgrim St., Newcastle NE1 6QG. Free. 8pm. Acoustic blues.
-----
Evening
Mick Donnelly & James Harrison - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 9pm. Free.
The Resonators - Billy Bootleggers, Nelson St., Newcastle NE1 5AN. 9pm. Free.
Hackney Colliery Band - Sage Gateshead. 8pm. £18. Some very hip cats!
-----
Jo Harrop Quartet - Ushaw College, nr. Durham DH7 9RH. 7:30pm. £7.
Pocket Jazz Orchestra - The Ship, 50 High St., Wolviston, Billingham TS22 5JX. 9pm.
-----
Steve Bone - Al Forno, 81 Skinnergate, Darlington DL3 7LX. 7pm.
-----
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Book review: Dave Frishberg - My Dear Departed Past

Dave Frishberg admits he's a nostalgia buff. Come to think of it, aren't we all? The musicians, the sportsmen, the movies, the books we love are much better than today's crop. Not always true, of course, it's just that we haven't had time to grow and love the present compared to the years we've dwelt upon our past memories and, anyway tomorrow, today becomes the past.
At 84, Dave Frishberg has a lot of memories yet, despite his fondness for the past, as a pianist, singer, songwriter, composer, he can still hold his head high today.
My Dear Departed Past contains a host of memories such as learning boogie-woogie from his brother, reading Mezzrow's Really the Blues, the gradual progression from playing with high school dance bands to bigger names. To playing with Al Cohn and Zoot Sims, and Count Basie. Difficulties with Anita O'Day and Benny Goodman and much more.
The book is studded with anecdotes. Some sad, some revealing and a lot which are very funny indeed.
As a composer/lyricist, few can compare. To me, Frishberg is the modern equivalent of W.S.Gilbert, Noel Coward, Cole Porter, Larry Hart although his own favourite is Frank Loesser and he recorded a memorable duo album with Rebecca Kilgore of Loesser's songs. The first song he showed to a publisher was Peel me a Grape, later recorded by Diana Krall.
Just entertain me
Champagne me
Best way to cheer me
Cashmere me
Best way to smell me
Chanel me
I'm getting hungry
Peel me a grape.
© Dave Frishberg
Blossom Dearie was another who drew from Frishberg's seemingly infinite songbook with two of the best-known being I'm Hip and My Attorney Bernie.  My personal favourite is Dear Bix. I first heard this sung and played by Roly Veitch at the old Side Café on Newcastle Quayside - maybe Roly will play it again for me at a gig sometime. One of Roly's favourite sax players is the late Richie Kamuca and I've heard Richie sing this and, would you believe it? He sounds very much like Roly!
Not surprisingly, anyone who can write lyrics like Dave Frishberg does is going to write one helluva book!
To describe a book as being unputdownable is a well-worn cliché but it is one that is so appropriate here that I'll go along with the cliché - then I'll start reading the book again.
Lance.
Dave Frishberg: My Dear Departed Past is published by Backbeat Books (an Imprint of Hal Leonard).

1 comment :

  1. I just listened to Dear Bix on YT - Richie Kamuca, with Herb Ellis and Ray Brown. I knew I'd be in for a treat ........ what a gorgeous number ....... sublime!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!